Tuesday 10 August 2010

BBC - Panorama - R.I.P off

I have often warned people about the lack of regulation among will writers and the fact that they are not required to have any qualifications at all. However, the BBC’s Panorama programme entitled “R.I.P. Off” was a very sobering view of the unregulated legal services that are being marketed. The programme highlighted hidden fees, extremely poor administration of estates, theft and fraud, but I would say that, wouldn’t I? I’m a solicitor. In order to become a solicitor, you train for a total of 6 years, you are governed by the Law Society and if after that something goes wrong, there is the Solicitors Compensation Fund and indemnity insurance to turn to.

It appears there are two tiers of advice available:

1. Solicitors with the training and regulation
2. A steadily growing industry of unqualified and unregulated will writers and probate service providers.

All of the assets that you have worked for and built up over your life are governed by your will. It is a document which is too important not to get absolutely right. Or is my view tainted because I am a solicitor? Perhaps there are those who think that there should be less regulation in the legal world and that it should be the choice of the individual as to whether they choose to use the services of a will writer.

I would be interested to hear your views.

To read more about this author - Shaun Parry-Jones, click here

No comments:

Post a Comment